Thursday 19 March 2015

A Different Collection of Children's Stories

(UPDATE: You can now buy 'Carrie the Limping Lion' through my blog, thanks to Payhip!) 

There's an idea that I have for a collection of children's books. Basically, I want to write about children who are different, like I was (Or should I say "like I am"? I don't think I'm a kid anymore...). Now, everybody knows that I'm different from most kids. I'm a complete weirdo, after all, which is apparent to many people. The simple fact that I only just learnt how to ride a bicycle is a huge indicator of my weirdness. But that's not the kind of different that I'm talking about here.

What makes me different is that I have Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. I'm one of the very few lucky people who are currently in remission, so you don't need to get all worried about me all of a sudden. Sometimes my knees or hips hurt, but that usually only happens if I'm particularly stressed out, or overworked... Which is a big part of why I currently live in the Garden Route (so calm and pretty!) and only work four days a week as a waitress (which is actually very easy and stress-free). However, that's not the way that it used to be when I was a child.

Back in the day, when I was but a wee lass, I was very sore - very often. I wore bandages around my knees to keep them warm when the days were a bit too cool, and I couldn't take part in a lot of sporty activities with my friends. During school assemblies, I didn't sit on the floor with everybody else, because it bent my knees too much - so I'd sit on a chair with the prefects and teachers, which drew a lot of attention. So few children understood why I couldn't join them in their games every time, and it might have made things easier if they knew more about Arthritis in general... Which is what gave me the idea for the children's books. Really short, nicely illustrated stories about children who are different, and how they go about their daily lives.

Children with Arthritis (like me!), children who need glasses, children who are deaf... Children with all kinds of differences. My brother, Benjamin, calls children (and grown-ups) like this "diff-abled". We're still able to do most things that other people can do, but we're forced to do them in a different way. By the by, Ben has recently discovered that he has Asperger's Syndrome, so he knows what he's talking about when it comes to being diff-abled.

Of course, I can't finish this project alone. Ideally, I'd like to get input from as many people with as many differences as possible. Perspective is so important, and at the moment, the only perspective that I have is my own. If you'd like me to write a story about you, please leave a comment or drop me an email so that I can chat to you about your experiences as a child who was different.

I'd like to show children all over the world that although we're different, we're still just kids, and we don't want to be isolated and bullied, we don't want to be misunderstood... We just want to have friends.


6 comments:

  1. I think it's a great idea. I would totally buy these books, if they had been available when my kids were little. So put that deficit right! I know you can do it without being condescending, and that is KEY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea for a book series! Kids always notice differences but very often need to be taught how to embrace them and understand them. I was always the girl with the glasses growing up (I got my first pair at around 18 months old). It's such a 'normal' difference but still a difference none the less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome idea. Definitely. I always automatically thought something was cool if it was in a book or on TV or in a song. Somehow, when you're a kid, that's what makes things interesting and worth paying attention to...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nooooooooo.... Horrible Google!!!!!

    I typed out an awesome heartfelt message. Aaaaaand it's gone.

    Meh, we can chat in person when you're up here again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! But I want to know what you were writing. How terribly unfair. :(

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you all like the idea! Now to actually do some work on bringing them to life. :)

    ReplyDelete